I'm holding my breath, here in mid-March. I've turned the heat off. The windows have been opened. Spring has been threatening for several weeks. I have had too many snowbound Easters to believe that Spring has truly arrived just yet.
For about a month I have been fretting about my hair. I casually mentioned to both sisters that I was thinking about cutting it. Their reaction was exactly the same. "As long as you are doing that, do something about your eyebrows." Nothing quite like sister love! So, two weeks ago, I stopped into the one spa in my cornfield. They had an opening for waxing, but they did not cut hair. But, they said that I was in luck, because the woman who does the waxing is a certified cosmetologist and worked at a hair salon down the street. So, as I nervously had scenes from The 20 Year Old Virgin (because, you know, I'm 40 and never been waxed) going through my head, I talked to the woman about cutting my hair. She said some nice things that sounded like what Sister from NY told me to listen for. Then she ripped out my eyebrows. Not entirely. Everyone agrees that I have a lovely natural arch. I do not look permanently surprised or scared. It wasn't too terrible. Fortunately, I don't have to do it all the time. I'll probably be doing it once a month. Then I made the appointment to cut my hair for the following week. I had about 14 inches cut off. Not enough to donate to Locks of Love, but definitely enough that needed to come off. The woman did a fantastic job. You'd think that by now I'd be used to someone different looking out the mirror at me, but the hair cut was such a dramatic change that I couldn't tell if I liked it or not. I knew about halfway home that I LOVED my haircut. It's short. It's easy. It's fun looking. Between my eyebrows and hair removal I look about ten years younger! A new me! I deserve it!!
This month's support group meeting was about exercise. I can honestly say that I'm regularly going to the gym Mon., Wed., and Fri. during lunch. I cannot ever say that I'm going three days a week, because then I just won't go. I do need to add in a bit more. Federal guidelines show that to be healthy, one should exercise 150 minutes per week plus strength training. I've started exercising during commercial breaks. Of course, I don't watch much television because I'm balancing in another graduate degree and trying to find another job in with family and work. There really isn't a lot of time for me. Anyway, I'm trying to add in the exercise time. I'm also starting to have a lot of joint pain. I don't know if it's because I'm pushing myself so hard on the days I exercise or if it's because my joints are not getting time to adjust to carrying less weight. My hips are bearing the brunt of the pain. Every time I stand up, I hurt. In the morning, my shoulders, ankles, and knees crack really hard and really loud. I don't know how long I'll have to let that go before I start talking to the professionals.
My fear of flying is about to get challenged. This is happening a lot faster than I anticipated, but it's all good. I'm going to visit Friend at the Beach in South Carolina. She moved there about two years ago. I really miss her. She has been asking me to come down pretty much since she got there. I have one day off, and I'm going to take it. I fly out on Easter Thursday and come home on Easter. It's a pretty busy time, so I'm really worried about what is going to happen. I don't want to be in the middle of my plane switch only to get grief.
Time to get back to working on finding a new job. This one is slowly killing my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment