Sunday, February 12, 2012

Did NOT see that coming!!

Ok.  So, at this point, it should be obvious that I did my research prior to even seeing my doctor and saying, "Hey, I want to do this surgery."  I had extensively read, on and off, for years about varying procedures, successes, and what life is like for the post-surgery patient.

I have had some great successes.  I can sit in just about any chair in the office without wondering if I have to twist around to get myself into it.  I am going to the gym in the basement of work during three lunch hours per week pretty regularly.  Some of my pajamas are falling off me, so I only put them on right before hopping into bed. 

I have also, to be honest, had some failures.  I have eaten things I should not.  I have learned to listen to my body, so I'm not eating until I throw up.  I stop as soon as I don't feel "right."  I easily forget my vitamins, which could, left unchecked, wind me up in the hospital.  I allow myself to feel left out at work.  We often have food and it's what a lot of people call "fun" food.  At an outing the other day, I sat at a table with six other people who were eating pizza, soda, and nachos.  I felt really uncomfortable because I was the odd man out, and we were working on team building!  **sigh**  I felt badly that I was doing what was right for me.

I went ahead and weighed myself this week.  I have lost 65 pounds, so far!!  That is A LOT of weight!  I am just tickled that it's coming off like it is.  I am pretty sure that I'm losing about a pound a week.  As long as it's coming off, I think it's alright.  A more telling exercise for me was I put on my coat, today.  Last year, as with previous years, when I put on my winter coat, I would struggle a bit to get the zipper hooked and then it was a pretty snug fit.  I have been avoiding my winter coat this year.  Mostly, I hate snow and cold.  If it's cold enough for me to need the winter coat, then I am not happy because I can't stand the snow.  Literally.  I fall down every time it snows.  Well, I put the winter coat on, today.  I was swimming in it.  I felt like some 9 year old kid going out in their Daddy's coat.  It totally does not fit!  I asked Love of My Life if I looked ridiculous in a too big coat.  He said it was fine.  Then, I tightened the waist string.  He told me to keep the string loose, because the coat looked ridiculously big with the waist accented.  I do SO love him!

I still worry that I have lost all the weight I am going to lose.  There is no logic in the world that is going to get me relaxed about that.  I also cling tightly to the fear of gaining the weight back.  It is very easy to do.  I think I would really have to get comfortable with dumping and push my body to get past the dumping, to gain the weight back.  It is still a rational fear.  As long as I cling to the fear, I think I will keep myself in check.

The next HUGE thing for me to experience will be flying.  I cannot imagine how it will feel to walk into an airport and not have the fear and dread that some airline representative will "helpfully" suggest I buy a second ticket.  They do it.  Most are not so helpful or pleasant about it, either.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like to fly with just one ticket.  I'm also curious about the experience of flying without a seat belt extender.  Obviously, that experience is far, far away.  I have NO vacation or sick time left and NO money to go anywhere, if I did. 

In the mean time, I have an enormous jacket I have to get on to take the puppers for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment