Well, even the best laid plans can get wrecked. It's usually best to roll with the changes...especially if you cannot do anything about them.
The creation of new traditions is not typically an easy thing. However, Love of My Life put things together so smoothly and touchingly, that our new Thanksgiving will be the one to follow from now on. Love of My Life followed what I wanted and cooked a fabulous turkey breast. Then he put an awesome spin on potatoes. He chopped them up and threw them in a pan with chopped bacon, oil, and topped with sharp cheddar cheese to bake. He does love to cook!
While the girls and I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I went ahead and peeled and chopped the apples for homemade applesauce. I throw the chopped apples and a little water into the crock pot and slow cook them down into yummy and slightly chunky applesauce.
After a delicious dinner, our family put the capper on a LOVELY day, and went to the movies. We saw Alfred Christmas. This was a delightful and sweet CGI cartoon movie. There were no real surprises. It was a quiet, gentle, yet enjoyable tale that the entire family just loved.
Overall, Thanksgiving went really, really well.
On Friday, I did not get to go Black Friday shopping with my girls. Instead, the family went to Love of My Life's mother's funeral. She was diagnosed with cancer at the end of July and lasted until this week. The wake and service were very tasteful.
The toughest part for me was the luncheon afterwards. What could I possibly eat? We had been on the road since 4 am. I had half a piece of cheese for breakfast, and a protein water on the drive. I was almost frantic with emptiness. I could not even begin to guess what foods were going to be put in front of me that I might or might not be able to eat. When presented with the choices for lunch, I had a chicken that sounded as if it was not fried or coated in breading. I took two bites, and when Love of My Life asked how I was doing, I had to answer truthfully. I could not eat the meal. I needed to have a much wetter "dip" for the chicken. It was tender, but just not moist enough. I was really disappointed. I'd had high hopes. One of the daughters had flounder, so I tried that. Definitely not something I would eat twice on purpose. I had my meal boxed so it would look as if I hadn't wasted the meal. Three hours later, and we were home again, where I could make a meal I could eat.
No comments:
Post a Comment